2020 Flu Vaccine Required for Aged Care Entry.
The Australian Government Department of Health restrictions on entry into aged care facilities has made it a requirement that everyone entering a residential aged care home must have an up-to-date vaccination against influenza from 1st May 2020. You can read the full COVID-19 update here.
As per last year we have implemented our resident and staff influenza vaccination program at The Richardson. In preparation for future visits post COVID-19 restrictions easing, all visitors must have had the flu vaccination, including children. Going forward we will require visitors to bring their influenza vaccine documentation (e.g. medical letter/certificate or pharmacy certificate) with them when visiting The Richardson. Any visitor that is not vaccinated and/are not able to provide proof of vaccination (medical certificate/statement) will not be allowed in the building as directed by the WA Health Department.
The following individuals in WA are eligible to receive the government funded vaccine:
• persons 65 years or older
• children 6 months to primary school-aged children (born after 30 June 2007)
• pregnant women (any trimester)
• Aboriginal people 6 months and older
• individuals 6 months and older with medical conditions that place them at risk for complications of influenza
Contact your GP to discuss your eligibility and arrange your vaccine.
Aside from the flu vaccine there are a number of steps you can take to boost your immune system and help keep yourself and your loved ones healthy this winter. From exercise, to fresh eating and mindfulness, you can read our complete list of suggestions here.
Of course, when visiting an aged care home it is essential that we all continue to adhere to our COVID-19 precautions ensuring you:
• are well (no signs/symptoms of infection such as sore throat, cough, running nose, shortness of breath, fever or chills);
• have not travelled internationally/interstate in the previous 14 days;
• have not had contact with anyone at risk of, or confirmed as having COVID-19;
• and are vigilantly practicing social distancing, hand hygiene and cough etiquette.
We look forward to seeing you back in our home very soon.